Re: [MirageOS-devel] Passing tap devices to the main module

On 10/05/2014 11:57 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
I was wondering how to solve this more generally (for instance, via an
ARM-style device tree).  Does the solution below of picking monotonic network
device numbers work on cloud providers?

Amazon still seems to only provide one VIF, so maybe this isn't a real issue.
It'll come up quite quickly on ARM when we are bridging internal/external
networks though, so it would be good to figure out a solution..
Excellent question. It apparently doesn't work on EC2, which does allow you to give an instance >1 VIF if you futz around in the console a bit. Even though the second interface is listed as "device index" 1, versus "device index" 0 for the interface created automatically for the interface, attempting to get information for the second netif fails silently and information for the first is used instead (not great).

-Mindy