Re: [MirageOS-devel] command line arguments for unikernels

Hi list,

I have a working version of the `mirage configure` tool that allows the
individual CONFIGURABLEs to declare a list of parameter that it uses.
The set of all the
parameters used by the unikernel can then be set using Cmdliner terms and
they are shown in `mirage configure --help`.

Example:

The IPV4: CONFIGURABLE declares parameters "ip", "netmask", "gateways" then
one can set them as follows:

$ mirage configure --ip 10.0.0.2 --netmask 255.255.255.0 --gateways=10.0.0.1

It is also possible to use environment variables of the same name and
it will be possible to override the parameter values at run-time so
that one does not need to recompile the unikernel each time (this
might make the unikernel depend on Cmdliner, though).

I have a question regarding the best way to handle parameter names.
Obviously parameter names must be unique. But if one instantiates a
CONFIGURABLE more than once then those CONFIGURABLEs may be
instantiating parameters of the same name. For example one can imagine
instantiating IPV4 twice and then both of them will have a parameters
"ip", "netmask", etc.

One can of course, make the names unique by combining the name of the
parameter with the name of the CONFIGURABLE (currently
semi-algorithmically generated to keep them unique), but this does not
seem very user friendly.

Thoughts ?

Cheers,
Nicolas

PS: For those that want to look at the code (which is very rough)
and/or try it out, you can pin

opam pin add mirage https://github.com/nojb/mirage#better-params

and you can try it out by cloning
https://github.com/nojb/mirage-better-params-ex and running