[MirageOS-devel] TunTap vs PACKET sockets

A question came up in conversation recently that I was (to my shame!)
unable to answer-- I wondered if anyone on the list might be able to
assist :)

We make use of tun/tap (specifically, a tap device) for the direct
access Mirage network stack. This (it has seemed to me) has always
been a bit fiddly to get right, and sensitive to installing the right
versions of support packages.

What's the rationale for / trade-off of using tun/tap vs using packet sockets?
(Is it simply that packet sockets are not supported on OSX?)

Does anyone more up-to-date with latest OSX APIs know if there's
anything more than BPF for direct network device access at the moment?

Cheers,

--
Richard Mortier
richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx