[Wg-test-framework] Minutes: April 22nd - Xen+Libvirt OpenStack monthly meeting

=Attendees =

LK: Lars Kurth

AM: Antony Messerli

BB: Bob Ball

SS: Stefano Stabellini

JF: Jim Fehlig

AP: Anthony Perard

JK: Josh Kearney

= Status Update =

== Test Failures ==

BB:

* Everything looking good

* AP created some new debian packages that contain all the necessary changes for the CI loop

* We manually disabled 2 tests (iSCSI related):

** 1 known upstream issue with Tempest Test Harness: we don't know how to fix it - and need input on an appropriate fix from the OpenStack community (SCSI specific)

** 2nd test, don't know yet why failing - AP is investigating

* We disabled those two tests

* With those tests disabled we get a nice pass-rate

== Running Tests in Parallel ==

BB: The Tempest Test suite is now running jobs in parallel

LK: Did you do the usage analysis since we are running in parallel for Advisory Board costing?

BB: Too early, we have only be running in parallel for 1 day

ACTION: BB look at VM usage in a week once we ran for a week in parallel

ACTION: LK to report back to Advisory Board

== Voting on Nova Changes ==

BB:

* Have agreement to switch voting on

* Done some quick analysis

* We are failing for approx. 10% of the changes submitted to Nova

* This does not mean that these are caused by us. They could be legitimate failures due to "bad" commits

* Have not yet performed cross-analysis whether these failures match Jenkins failures (aka are caused by "bad" commits to Nova)

* The decision when to switch voting on lies with us

* Right now the set-up is to comment on changes that have passed only

* Future Nova PL has given us permission to switch on voting also

ACTION: BB / AP to verify whether failures are caused by us or Jenkins OpenStack

AP: Believes that some of the issues are failing in our CI (could be spurious or infrastructure issues)

BB: Some at least do not fail in Jenkins OpenStack

LK: I did a number of cross-checks today and all the ones I looked at matched Jenkins failures in official OpenStack CI

BB: In the last 24 hours no single test has caused problems

BB: 18 failures in the last 24 hours, of which the most frequent ones only occurred 3 times

SS: is concerned that if we have spurious issues due to our Jenkins set-up, we may lose voting status and trust

SS: is also concerned about verifying changes to Jenkins, e.g. if we changed the baseline against which we are testing

BB: Typically Nova team would get frustrated within 24 hours if we do submit wrong votes

BB: Our CI would be disabled with appropriate mails to Nova lists and 3rd party lists

BB: We would then be expected to fix the issue, on our timer, and report back

BB: At which point we would be added back to the voting list

SS: Should we enable the two failing tests with issues?

BB: The infrastructure is sufficiently flexible to allow for having some tests removed

BB: In other words, we don't have to wait for the 2 remaining tests to be fixed

LK: If we are confident that we don't create spurious issues, we should enable voting

BB: The jobs that are running that do not run those two tests

BB: We can easily run those two jobs and mark a job as non-voting

BB: This would allow us to see the failures, but not create any problems for Nova

SS: addresses my concern

LK: Created http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OpenStack_CI_Loop_for_Xen-Libvirt for Xen Developer community

== Other ==

LK:

* We have a BoF at the Summit, "Lessons learned 3rd from setting up a 3rd party CI"

* Don't know the time yet when it will be scheduled (will voice preference for Wednesday)

* SS noted that he is travelling back to the UK on Friday afternoon

= Next Steps =

== Verify Stability and switch on Voting ==

BB: Verify whether failures are caused by us or Jenkins OpenStack

ALL: Make a decision when to switch on voting

*Agreement: send an email to this list (cc-ing xen-devel) and get ACK from the members on this call

== PR ==

Lars planning two blog posts on blog.xenproject.org (and push it to the OpenStack planet)

* Introducing Xen Project Jenkins

* Another one at the point we go voting

= OpenStack Summit sync =

Going: LK, BB, AP, SS

Not going: AM, JK, JF

LK: asks how the summits work

BB: in previous summits user and dev summits were split.

BB: Mon - Thu was User Summit

BB: Tue - Fri was Developer Summit (when all the Design sessions happen)

BB: Did we submit design sessions? NO, neither did SS and AP

AM: We can tag onto libvirt sessions - can bring up Xen as well

ACTION: LK, BB, SS, AP to attend libvirt session (assuming there is one) - if there is a lot of ground to cover, there is often another session

BB: Schedule for design summit has not yet been published, will check submission deadlines

ACTION: BB check submission deadlines and get back to the group

AM: stated that he is disappointed that we didn't get any Xen / XenServer sessions besides the BoF

ACTION: Lars follow up with SUSE on sponsored Xen sessions - there is still potential for a joint session

= Libvirt Update =

JF: 3 missing libvirt patches have been committed

JF: next Friday or Saturday there will be a new libvirt version (a release that includes all the necessary work) - version number is not yet complete

ACTION: JF to drop Lars a mail on the libvirt release

ACTION: AP, SS - if there any new libxl / libvirt issues then CC JF

AM: will have a go at the bleeding edge Xen and Libvirt version and verify it works

JF: also offered that he can help investigate Nova issues

= AOB =

No