[Xen-devel] Lazy Restore Using Memory Paging

Hello Everybody,

I am Dushyant Behl, I am a student of Computer Science and Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.This summer I will be working on the project "Lazy Restore Using Memory Paging" under the Google Summer of Code program. This project will be done under the mentorship of H. Andres Lagar-Cavilla.

The project aims towards reducing the time consumed in the VM restore process. The conventional restore process loaded the entire memory image of the VM at the same time which created a lot of IO overhead. We will be replacing the conventional process of loading the entire image into memory with the concept of lazy loading where the memory pages will be loaded as soon as they are accessed by the VM. First we would like to reach the state of an empty restore where we restore only empty VM and then we will make improvements by trying different strategies to cut the overheads of inducing extra pagefaults.
The plan is to have a patch for libxl/libxc ready by the end of the summer.

I will also share the benchmarks of the conventional restore process and the comparison with the results obtained by us for different sorts of guests.

If you want to contact please drop me a line.

Thanks and Regards,
Dushyant Behl