Re: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

  • To: "Rudi Ahlers" <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Gordon McLellan" <gordonthree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:12:17 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:12:58 -0700

I can't comment on some of the fancier images offered by jailtime, but
for something like Centos (or rhel), I recommend you roll your own
image.  I created a local mirror of the Centos 5.1 files, and it takes
about 8 min to do a kickstart installation.

>From what I've learned so far, xvda is provided by the xen block
device driver, which is either in the kernel image, or part of the
initial ramdisk (initrd).  I see in your config file you are booting a
special kernel, but without special initrd.  Usually they go hand in
hand.

Here is my centos 5.1 xen config file.  You'll note I am using an lvm
logical volume as the block device, instead of a loopback file.

# cat netserver
# uncomment the kernel, ramdisk and extra lines for a kickstart install
# make sure to comment the bootloader line
# after the install, comment kernel, ramdisk and extra, uncomment bootloader
#kernel = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-vmlinuz"
#ramdisk = "/root/xen/centos64-xen-initrd.img"
#extra = "text ks=http://192.168.2.8/centos64-2.ks";
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
name = "netserver"
memory = "256"
disk = [ 'phy:vg0/xen_netserver,xvda,w', ]
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
vcpus=1
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
on_poweroff = 'restart'
#on_reboot = 'destroy'
#on_crash = 'destroy'
#on_poweroff = 'destroy'

This is the site that taught me how to do a centos domu via kickstart:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU

Gordon