[Xen-users] queries w.r.t xen networking

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Bala Subramanyam" <sbala@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:06:15 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:01:47 -0700

Hi All

I am a beginner with XEN and am trying out configuring xen  in the modes of
bridged/routed/NAT
Few queries regarding xen networking

Query #1
As per the documentation I could configure the corresponding modes by enabling
the scripts to configure the bridged/routed/NAT mode and my query is can we
have a mixed mode support in XEN (  some of the other available commercial
hypervisors support them )i.e A n/w where some VMs are part of one network
which communicate in bridged mode and on the same box there are some other VMs
which are in the routed mode on a different n/w  and now we want to ping across
the networks

Query#2
Apart from xend-config.sxp how can we know what is the mode of existing
communication is it bridged or routed or NAT  , I checked the "brctl show"  but
it shows the same info even in routed mode (or did I go terribly wrong
configuring it  :(   )

Query # 3
Accidentally I  uncommented  both the scripts in xend-config.sxp i.e the file
had both the modes enabled

network-script network-bridge
vif-script vif-bridge

network-script network-route
vif-script    vif-route

but to my suprise I saw that while restarting xend , it didnt report any errors
I checked the xendlog file by enabling the debug mode and found it to be in
bridged mode ( Is  this a defined behaviour )

Any pointers on detailed info of xen networking would be of great help

Thanks  in advance

Regards
Subramanyam