Re: [Xen-users] What's recommended method for serving data to/among DomU's?

  • To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "snowcrash+xen@xxxxxxxxx" <schneecrash+xen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:45:05 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 01 May 2008 12:45:44 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=QhSFNIsp/liITf0ZfURSaHl52Cvewc+NOKpjn5WCbfz1ytEh1mkzpoUHQrNyZnb8jB6sDuaY9C/Nc5cGvJMBo1eRglNstGP06/H+8v/eyuRWIMlaqj27FoRsh3XQcCMfs2iYOJIA1eu2HvY3PiiQRn305L14MtKUgKQ7kdPqYj4=

>  If you want some kind of shared
>  filesystem between domains that multiple domains can access concurrently, you
>  need either a network filesystem (NFS or CIFS) or a cluster filesystem (GFS
>  or OCFS2).

I _just_ read this

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensuse/oss-factory/x86_64/nbd-2.9.9-32.x86_64.html
        "... nbd can be used to have a filesystem stored on another machine. It
does
        provide a block device, not a file system; so unless you put a
        clustering filesystem on top of it, you can't access it simultaneously
        from more than one client. Use NFS or a real cluster FS (such as
        ocfs2) if you want to do this. ..."

which I believe says the same.

My goal is to abstract DomU instances from their embodied apps' data
-- e.g., bind zones, apache web files, etc., and to centralize that
data so as to be easy to backup.

With your explanations (thanks!), and a bit of reading, I think
OpenFiler in a DomU, booted early is my solution -- with subsequent
VM's reading their apps' data/conf/etc from OpenFiler-published NFS
partitions gets me 'there' ...

Bottom line, I do need -- or at least want -- simultaneous access.