Re: [Xen-users] SOLVED: xen 4.1.3, EFI boot and "no console to OS" problem

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Janno Loide <janno@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 00:33:09 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 22:35:40 +0000

Just to conclude this topic: Xen 4.1.3 with OpenSUSE 12.2 (and 4.2.1 with OS12.3 also) works well with UEFI on IBM x35*0 hardware. The machine has to be booted with xen.efi loader, any other loader before xen won't do, probably.

I just had to
 - create an additional directory on efi partition;
 - copy xen.efi into that directory;
 - copy initrd and vmlinuz kernel images into that directory;
- create simple xen.cfg file in the same directory containing just a few lines -- for example:

options=dom0_mem=2048M,max:2048M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin loglvl=all noreboot
        kernel=vmlinuz-3.7.10-1.1-xen ignore_loglevel #earlyprintk=xen
        ramdisk=initrd-3.7.10-1.1-xen
        root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3500a07510364d950-part3

 - create additional boot entry in system firmware pointing to the xen.efi.

And voilà -- everything works like a charm :) RAM and cores are counted correctly, console acts normally, vm-s run as expected.

Concerning my initial question about that strange "no console will be available to OS" message I suspected to be some meaningful indication to my problem -- I'm not sure if it's related to any problem at all. I can't notice it on boot anymore. Though I'm still wondering what it actually means...

With best regards,
    Janno

Hi,

Based on what you've said, the KDM login is not frozen (cursor is actively blinking?), but the input is not in the right place somehow.

If I am understanding this right, the Java applet sits between the real VGA output and the Matrox adapter, as a layer? If so maybe some connection is belong list in transit when Xen hands VGA over to the Dom0.
Probably. Though I guess the problem isn't related to that applet, as the kernel without xen comes up with fully functional console.

The problem is probably Xen not supporting EFI -- at least on this hardware :( Actually, I was dumb enough not to look at 'xm dmesg' output before (thanks to Casey for bringing it up). Surprisingly, while Xen succeeds on detecting RAM, it fails reading full ACPI data structure:
--
(XEN) ACPI Error (tbxfroot-0218): A valid RSDP was not found [20070126]
(XEN) System RAM: 98237MB (100595124kB)

As Xen does not detect root pointer it fails of course on everything else depending on it, including detecting the cpu:
--
(XEN) Detected 2000.055 MHz processor.
(XEN) Initing memory sharing.
(XEN) xstate_init: using cntxt_size: 0x340 and states: 0x7
(XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled
(XEN) Enabled directed EOI with ioapic_ack_old on!
(XEN) Platform timer is 1.193MHz PIT
(XEN) Allocated console ring of 16 KiB.
(XEN) VMX: Supported advanced features:
(XEN)  - APIC MMIO access virtualisation
(XEN)  - APIC TPR shadow
(XEN)  - Extended Page Tables (EPT)
(XEN)  - Virtual-Processor Identifiers (VPID)
(XEN)  - Virtual NMI
(XEN)  - MSR direct-access bitmap
(XEN)  - Unrestricted Guest
(XEN) HVM: ASIDs enabled.
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging (HAP) detected
(XEN) HVM: HAP page sizes: 4kB, 2MB, 1GB
(XEN) Brought up 1 CPUs
--
Finally, it just finds one cpu instead of six hyperthreaded cores! Amazing.
Compared to that, my trouble with console is just nothing.

Tried Opensuse 12.3 with Xen 4.2.1 this morning. Got the same result (the dmesg output above is actually from Xen 4.2.1 also).

The OS 12.3 kernel (3.7.10-1.1) without xen continues to detect ACPI data correctly (as 3.4.33-2.24 on 12.2 did), giving no errors, finding all cores etc...

I'll probably re-check the IBM firmware updates and then submit a bug report.

Regards,
Janno