[Xen-users] VGA pass-through to Linux

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Robert Rust <rjrbytes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 22:25:41 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 03:26:53 +0000

Howdy folks. ÂI'm trying to set up a DomU with Linux for my kids to play games on ... passing it a video card, a USB card and a sound card. ÂI've had no success getting the video card to do anything that I can tell. ÂWhen I try to tell the domU to use gfx_passthru, I end up with 100% CPU usage and no apparent activity. ÂI've tried installing the AMD drivers but that has usually resulted in a system that either has X respawning on login via VNC, or what appears to be a secondary desktop on VNC that doesn't seem to have a pointer.
OS: Ubuntu 14.04 ... I'm open to using others, but would prefer something Ubuntu-based
video card: Radeon HD6450. ÂI also have a Radeon HD4350 available (and the motherboard has two 16x PCIe slots.

I have gotten the "Expecting atombios for evergreen GPU" message during some of my attempts, after which I've installed the AMD driver and ended up at a dead end.
I've lost track of which how-to's I've tried but most seem to be aimed at people trying to get Windows up and running. ÂThoughts? ÂDirections to pursue? ÂThings to check?

-Robert