Re: [Xen-users] PCI passthrough of HP P420i RAID controller

Simon Waterman <simon.waterman@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> We are using Xen 4.4 and a newly built Linux 3.15.0 kernel with Ubuntu
> trusty.  VTd is
> disabled in the BIOS of the Dom-0.  We use the following Grub commands for
> the Dom-0 boot:
>
>         multiboot       /boot/xen.gz placeholder dom0_mem=max:2048m iommu=0
> loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all
>         module  /boot/vmlinuz-3.15.0 placeholder
> root=UUID=f56cf02b-d46f-4e2a-b667-242f97ec82f5
> ro  debug
>         module  --nounzip   /boot/initrd.img-3.15.0

Does it work when you don't specify the 'iommu' parameter for dom0 at all?

> The driver domain is a PV guest running the same kernel version as the Dom-0.
> The Xen configuration file contains the following kernel boot parameters:
>
> extra="earlyprintk=xen debug max_loop=64 iommu=soft"
>
> After we issue the pci-attach command the following additional lines appear
> in the
> 'xl dmesg' log:
>
> (XEN) grant_table.c:289:d0 Increased maptrack size to 2 frames
> (XEN) mm.c:809: d2: Forcing read-only access to MFN f7f02
> (XEN) mm.c:809: d0: Forcing read-only access to MFN f7f02
>
> We were wondering whether anyone in the community had got PCI pass-through of
> the P420i working, or any pointers of where to look to further diagnose the
> problem.

There was something like 'xen-pciback.permissive=1' for dom0, maybe that
helps.

Other than that, would it hurt anything to let the VM access the volumes
instead of the controller itself?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.