Re: [Xen-users] Need support for xen network configuration

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fritz Richter <fritz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I decided to add eth1 and connect them all via an internal 24-port switch. Way more easy, but more expensiveâ

I assume that translates to "I added another NIC and switch for the internal networks".

Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The alternative would be to use vlans, where you connect eth0 as trunk, split the vlans, and bridge each vlan. Cheaper, but more complicated.

More complicated, but also probably more expensive - depends what switch you buy (and other factors). IME, by the time you are up to the level of manageability that gives you VLANs on the switch, you are paying more for that level functionality than you'd save in the cost of the NIC.

I was actually thinking of saving in terms of the switch port. Less ports needed should equal to less switch required, thus cheaper :)

Then again, this is assuming Fritz already has a VLAN-capable switch (a 24-portÂTP-LINK TL-SL5428E should cost less than $200).

Adds a lot of options though - I've a VM with 6 virtual NICs plus tunnel, 6in4 tunnel, and PPPoE interfaces acting as a router at work with VLANs to get the networks to the right place :)

Cool :)

--Â
Fajar