Re: [Xen-users] Cheap IOMMU hardware and ECC support importance

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Should I continue to entrust my data to a disk that spends long times on
>> trying to correct errors?

Run SMART extensively and decide. Could've been a one-off.

> Any disk without TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) and having it enabled
> will sometimes do that. You also need a RAID controller that either enables
> this feature on the disk itself or exposes the raw disk in a way that you
> can do it yourself, as the setting defaults to off. It wouldn't surprise me
> if various storage vendors ship disks with doctored firmwares that, among
> other things, have this setting defaulting to off.

I only use software RAID (mdadm on linux) so i don't know about
controllers. I do know that the Western Digital Red series are
marketed as "NAS drives" and come with TLER enabled. Also the Toshiba
DCACA* series come with TLER disabled (enabled at boot). These are
both desktop drives, but manufacturers discovered there's a (not so)
niche for this capability in the home user / SOHO market, so they now
differentiate.