Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 for FreeBSD or Illumos

Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 07/23/2014 01:14 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

I certainly relate to concerns over the direction of Linux, especially systemd, which I don't see as bringing anything meaningfully useful to the table when it comes to replacing SysV init.

On the other hand, while I am a RH user myself (for preference), I don't think RH is particularly dominating it, with Ubuntu becoming increasingly ubiquitous.

I kind of like Red Hat myself - when doing things for Government users - package and supported platform is essential. Debian for other stuff.

The thing is, that more and more core development for Linux userland is being done by Red Hat people (udev, systemd in particular) - and somewhat being foisted on other distributions. Kind of pushing things toward a more monolithic model, and the intrusiveness of systemd kind of engulfs and devours - kind of a worrysome long-term trend.
I've been a bit scared by ZFS on Linux - at least the development web
site makes it looks like the software is all beta, with not a lot of
progress toward a real 1.0 release - gives off kind of a "not ready for
prime time" feel.

Version numbers are increasingly meaningless. ZoL was announced as production ready at version 0.6.1.

What platform are you running, and what's been your
sense of readiness for production use?

I have been using it without problems since back when KQ Infotech released the POSIX ZoL layer a few years ago (based on 0.5.x), before ZoL project itself had a POSIX layer ready, and I've never had any problems or data loss, which is more than I can say for a lot of other FS-es I have used in that time.

I use EL6, CentOS and Scientific Linux.

Good info - very helpful.  Might make life easier!

Thanks,

Miles