Re: [Xen-users] xl create unable to connect to console, 4.4.1-rc1 build from source

On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 13:36 -0600, David A. Van Arnem wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to create a PV guest (Ubuntu 14.04) on a host with Xen
> v4.4.1-rc1, built from source (checked out stable-4.4 branch) on a
> machine running Fedora 20.  Xl is unable to connect to the console of
> the guest, giving the error : libxl: error:
> libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: console child [0]
> exited with error status 1.  I have verified that xenconsoled is
> running.  I followed the instructions here to create my config file:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen

Please can you provide the actual cfg file, just in case...
> Here's the command and output I used to create the PV guest, with the
> error underlined.  It is curious to me that the elf parser is seeing
> linux 2.6 and xen-3.0 when I would assume Ubuntu 14.04 contains newer
> versions of both...

Modern Xen is still ABI compatible with Xen (to guests), which is why
you see that there.

The reason for Linux 2.6 is similar, but less meaningful...

> # xl -vvv create /etc/xen/xen-domU-0.cfg -c

Can you try putting -c before the filename. I don't think it matters but
I'm not 100% sure...

> libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1591:libxl__ao_complete: ao 0x256e490: complete,
> rc=0
> libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1155:egc_run_callbacks: ao 0x256e490: progress
> report: callback aop=0x256ff30
> libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1563:libxl__ao__destroy: ao 0x256e490: destroy
> Unable to attach console
> libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: console child
> [0] exited with error status 1

This seems to imply that libxl_primary_console_exec returned, which it
shouldn't do.

Can you strace the xl create?

My wild guess is that it's not finding the xenconsole binary in
$prefix/lib/xen/bin or that it is not executable for some reason. strace
would confirm what it thinks it is doing.

You'll want to use -fff to follow forks and you might want create -F to
keep it in the foreground for ease of tracing (otherwise xl will
daemonise to monitor the domain). So somethign like
        strace -fff xl create -c -F <cfg>

Perhaps "xl console <dom>" also fails? It might be easier to strace that
since it does far less.

Ian.