Re: [Embedded-pv-devel] Supported hardware

Hi Pieter,

On 12/26/2017 8:01 PM, Pieter Dewachter wrote:
> Dear developers,
>

> I'm doing my master thesis this year and it's about automotive software. More
> specifically it is about creating a failover cluster by using a hypervisor to
> connect all available hardware. In that way the goal is to eliminate outage
> of a safety critical system, by letting another hardware component take over
> its functionality.
>

> In particular the Embedded and Automotive PV Drivers of the Xen Project
> Hypervisor seemed like an interesting to choice for this. Unfortunately the
> currently supported hardware is rather expensive (I would need at least two
> development boards to create something). Only when I get confirmation that it
> is absolutely required, they could potentially buy those expensive boards.
>

> So I was wondering if there is any hardware that could be used which is
> cheaper? For example a development board with a single ARM Cortex A53
> processor, instead of multiple processors like the R-Car boards offer.
> Performance is not a really big issue here, as it would only be to
> demonstrate that it actually works. Possible delays are not a dealbreaker
> either.
I am not sue of what your full hardware requirements are (e.g. do you need
SMMU?) but Xen 4.10 release supports multiple Allwinner  SoCs. Many of these
SoCS are available on very inexpensive SBCs.

We recently used one of these (quad Cortex-A53) to integrate and demonstrate
Xen automotive PV drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrFNRd29nzE

Caution that these SoCs are without SMMU so some safety considerations will
apply.

Cheers,
Awais