Re: [FuSa SIG] Impressions and wrap-up from Xen Project Developer Summit and Automotive Grade Linux Meeting Tokyo

On 22 Jul 2019, at 15:41, Kate Stewart <kstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 8:55 AM Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

please find attached the decks that I presented at the AGL meeting. They contain a high-kevel summary of the information I was exposed to in the last few months. I had excellent attendance (+100) for both talks at the AGL meeting.

In the last 2 weeks a number of interesting possibilities arose:

  1. AGL is currently looking at defining reference stack that includes the Xen Hypervisor. Whether this will be agreed by the AGL board is still open. If this happens it may be possible that Suzuki or Toyota may get engaged with Xen.
  2. There is also https://dornerworks.com/blog/high-performance-space-computing-platform-nasa-sbir which may help our efforts. I had conversations with DornerWorks and StarLabs regarding engagement with the SIG: each will have internal discussions and get back to me. In a nutshell, what the article proposes is similar to the idea of the AGL reference stack, for a different market segment. And in some sense, we do also already have a reference stack for automotive (EPAM) and a more generic one from XILINX.
  3. There will also be an ELISA Project workshop (https://elisa.tech/)in Cambridge UK, in September, which I hope I will be able to attend. This may provide an opportunity to help with elements of the certification story
    @Kate: would it be possible to have a quick chat about the meeting and how it would be possible to engage with ELISA? I would like to discuss the at the next SIG meeting or maybe via a 1-2-1 this week
Yes,  I plan at being at the meeting tomorrow, and we can discuss there.

We have a meeting next week (they are every two weeks now). Can you see whether this is reflected correctly in your calendar?
I am happy to spend 30 minutes using the slot with you (as you were planning to attend). If you need more time, I can reschedule the day to make this happen
Let me know

  1. I also had several positive conversations with Anas Nashif from the Zephyr project, who are facing similar challenges around tooling and process compared to us. Their current goal is to procure licenses for commercial tools to deal with Misra checking, requirements management, traceability, etc. – However, I don’t think this would work for Xen
Agree.   There is some overlap of options.   I'm in the Zephyr Safety working group as well, so am aware of their discussions, and looking for open source options as much as possible for them.    Zephyr's recently been doing work setting gcc options to help with Misra rule enforcement,  that might be interesting to experiment with.

From what I can tell, Zephyr is more willing to impose usage of new and different tools. That is something which won't fly in the Xen community (nor would it in Linux)

Looking at the tools, you probably have a better handle at this. But having worked on development tools for 10+ years in the past, none of the tools involved in safety certification are special in any way or should have core functionality that is overly complex. The only thing which is special is that a) almost all tools are proprietary, b) many follow an outdated client - server architecture where core data is centralized which can't easily be integrated into modern CI workflows, c) there are certified variants of these tools

Anyway: let's chat off-line

Regards
Lars