Re: [Minios-devel] automation: Creating a patchwork instance to improve pre-commit build testing

On 24 Jul 2018, at 10:24, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 03:06:08AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 23.07.18 at 18:40, <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
# How does this impact me?
The contribution workflow is *not* impacted by this change, but once up and
running the following will happen once you post a patch or patch series to
xen-devel:
* Patchwork will take patch series from the mailing list and applies it
* CI/DC testing is triggered
* A test report will be sent as a mail to the patch or the series (aka the 00 patch of the series)

This does mean though that series which do not build or show other issues,
will likely not be reviewed until the tests pass. This would lessen the
burden on reviewers, as they will know whether the code submitted builds on a
wide array of environments.

So how are dependencies between series intended to be dealt with? It
is not uncommon for someone to say "applies only on top of xyz". The
implication of "will likely not be reviewed until the tests pass" seems
unsuitable to me in such a case.

We have been asking everyone to rebase to staging before posting a new
version for a long time.  It is natural for the bot to assume that
everything should apply on top of staging. That would provide most value
to the community.

For special cases like you just mention, we should aim to provide
mechanisms to manually appoint a branch to be tested.

Wei, Doug: I have another question, which is mainly for my own understanding.

Right now we allow posting of patches to Linux, Qemu, xen.git, OSSTEST, ... to xen-devel. The planned CI infrastructure only applies to xen.git. Have you thought about how to handle such cases?

We probably don't want to spam Linux and Qemu lists with results from a test bot.
And we want to minimise false positives. Some patches may be identifiable through subject lines (e.g. OSSTEST in subject lines)

Lars