Re: [Minios-devel] automation: Creating a patchwork instance to improve pre-commit build testing

On 24/07/2018, 10:34, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

    >> > # How does this impact me?
    >> > The contribution workflow is *not* impacted by this change, but once
up and

    >> > running the following will happen once you post a patch or patch
series to
    >> > xen-devel:
    >> > * Patchwork will take patch series from the mailing list and applies it
    >> > * CI/DC testing is triggered
    >> > * A test report will be sent as a mail to the patch or the series (aka
the 00 patch of the series)

    >> > This does mean though that series which do not build or show other
issues,
    >> > will likely not be reviewed until the tests pass. This would lessen
the
    >> > burden on reviewers, as they will know whether the code submitted
builds on a
    >> > wide array of environments.
    >>
    >> So how are dependencies between series intended to be dealt with? It
    >> is not uncommon for someone to say "applies only on top of xyz". The
    >> implication of "will likely not be reviewed until the tests pass" seems
    >> unsuitable to me in such a case.
    >>

    > We have been asking everyone to rebase to staging before posting a new
    > version for a long time.  It is natural for the bot to assume that
    > everything should apply on top of staging. That would provide most value
    > to the community.
    >
    > For special cases like you just mention, we should aim to provide
    > mechanisms to manually appoint a branch to be tested.

    I'm afraid I disagree again: Tools used should not be dictated. I'm
    using quilt, not git for my work, and hence I don't maintain any
    branches anywhere.

Jan, I have to clarify what I meant by "will likely not be reviewed until the
tests pass".

At the end of the day, the CI loop is simply providing reviewers with more
information. Reviewers then make a decision on whether they want to review a
series or not.

Now in most cases, reviewers will rightly not want to review series which don't
build on all platforms, which is why I added "will likely not be reviewed until
the tests pass".
But in some cases - such as the case of dependencies - there is a reason to
still review the series. And there may be other reasons to do so.

Regards
Lars