Re: [Minios-devel] [UNIKRAFT] Xen PVH platform

Hey Marek,

yes, you are right. We are supporting only PV on x86 for now. The pieces of
PVH/HVM that we have left are left-overs from taking some of the code from
Mini-OS. In general, we would be happy to have also PVH support.
So far, our focus was on increasing functionality with libraries and drivers in
order to make the project more useful for most people. However, if you have
time, we are happy to receive patches to enable PVH ;-) . Let us know if you
are interested.

The most natural way for Unikraft would be to build two Xen binaries: One for
PV and another one for PVH. The idea is that you get the most optimized image
for your execution environment. This way you would avoid impacts because of the
two implementations. You also would not require a detection at runtime.

Thanks,

Simon

On 12.03.19, 02:27, "Minios-devel on behalf of Marek Marczykowski-Górecki"
<minios-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
marmarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hi,

    In Unikraft, some of the Xen platform code is under CONFIG_PARAVIRT, as an
    alternative to (incomplete, broken) PVH/HVM support. Would it make sense
    to support a build for both PV and PVH at the same time? Technically it
    would be possible, since those use different entry points and also
    start_info structure has a different magic. But on the other hand,
    supporting such configuration would mean slightly bigger binary. And
    possibly slight slower (not really sure about that yet).
    It looks like the x86/entry64.S and x86/mm.c are the most tricky parts,
    but it shouldn't be that hard to support runtime PV/PVH detection.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Marek Marczykowski-Górecki