Re: Proposal: Move IRC networks to oftc.net

Hi George,

thanks a lot for updating us. We have to admit that IRC was never really
working well for us. We were connected through ZNC but not permanently
available and the few newcomers that chose IRC often did not get immediate
list and GitHub issues and it happened that we preferred inviting newcomers and
contributors to our self-hosted Mattermost instance. We would like to introduce
an open system again but we did not settle on one yet. Since IRC did not work
for us, please remove our IRC references from the Xen pages and we disable our
freenode accounts. I will keep you updated with our alternative as soon as we
have one.

Thanks,

Simon

On 26.05.21, 15:22, "Minios-devel on behalf of George Dunlap"
<minios-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    This message is because both MirageOS and Unikraft are listed as having IRC
channels on freenode.net (see https://xenproject.org/help/irc/ ).

    There's been a situation developing on freenode for some time that came to
a head last week. Since that time, the new operators of freenode have begun
seizing control of any channel whose topic mentions moving to a new server.
Furthermore, they have been using the number of people logged into freenode as
evidence that the community supports their actions.

oftc.net effective immediately, and a number of us have deleted our freenode
accounts (
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2021-05/msg01057.html ).

    If you're still using the IRC channel listed in that page, please consider
following suit. If you're not using the IRC channel, let me know so I can
delete references to it.

    Thanks,
     -George Dunlap