requests for clarification

I thought I’d use some of the vacation to try to get up to speed a bit with mirage, and have a few questions and a couple of tutorial comments so far…

What is the status of/plans for the orm stuff? (https://github.com/mirage/orm - seems to be outside the current ‘release’ and tutorial scope) (plan A for learning mirage was to try making a web application or two)

Can I check my understanding on some of the networking stuff…

-          the unix-socket version uses sockets directly and doesn’t try to support the Ethif interface, whereas the unix-direct version does; this is the common low level interface (on both Xen and Unix) on which the ocaml ip stack is implemented (common to both targets)?

-          The Flow and esp. Channel and Manager interfaces are common abstractions across all platforms? I have to say I am pretty unclear exactly what the role and function of the Manager is; I guess there is one per application, even if multiple interfaces, and there is some reference to “swap to shared memory” but this seems to be a promissory note)

Can someone comment on the wisdom of using the unix socket vs direct version? (thinking of performance as well as stability)

Is anyone working on the Node (or browser) version of the networking? (which appears to just be an unimplemented shell)

Some of the mirage build was broken (for me on Centos 6, anyway) by the recent change to some of the .sh file headers (e.g. assemble.sh) from #!/bin/bash to #!/usr/bin/env bash -e:

/usr/bin/env: bash -e: No such file or directory

When I run any of the net examples as unix-direct (again on Centos 6), (having created tap0 explicitly using tunctl, which wasn’t mentioned in the tutorial), it appears (from what it prints and from subsequent ifconfig output) to execute each time:

/sbin/ifconfig tap0 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

But the mirage process is itself using ip 10.0.0.2, so I have to change the host interface ip back to 10.0.0.1 (e.g.) before I can communicate with the mirage process on ip 10.0.0.2

Cheers

Chris

http://www.mrl.nott.ac.uk/~cmg/