Re: beta OPAM instructions

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:14:03PM +0200, Raphael Proust wrote:

> First of, the general impressions:
> - opam is nice,
> - I am not sure why I have to be root to install it (as I have to change my
>   environment to use it anyway, it would make sense to propose local install)
> - having separate repos is way better

You shouldn't need to be root to use OPAM, except for the installation
into /usr/local/bin.  The Homebrew package doesn't require root at all.
If you put the binary into ~/bin or somewhere else, it should work fine.

> bnwr@ocamlsandbox ~/mirage/mirage-www $ make
> (lots of output)
> ld: unrecognised emulation mode: elf_x86_64
> Supported emulations: elf_i386 i386linux elf32_x86_64
>

> That is due to my VirtualBox setup???
>
> The 'switch' section of the tutorial worked. (And I am *very*
> impressed!)
>
> The building of the xen version failed because library was not found.
>
> When installing them again I got the following error:

All this should work now; it was compiling the Xen backend by mistake
instead of the UNIX/ELF one.

If you do 'make xen' on a 64-bit host, it'll emit a Xen kernel too. I'm
just putting together a list of the repositories and what they're for, and
I'll update the website today.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy                                 http://anil.recoil.org