Re: Mirage tutorial errors

On 4 Oct 2012, at 09:03, Yiming Zhang <sdiris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Anil for the suggestions. I followed the instructions from
> http://www.openmirage.org/wiki/install and have successfully run the UNIX
> binary of mirage-www. I then cloned the tutorial from
> git://github.com/mirage/mirage-tutorial and roll it back to last year (# git
> reset b8efbd; # git checkout -f HEAD), but when I 'cd slides && make', the
> following errors happened. What's the problem?

> root@debian:~/old/mirage-tutorial/slides# make
> ./scripts/build_socket_crunch.sh
> + BIN=crunch_server
> ++ which mir-run
> + MIR_RUN=
> make: *** [run-socket_crunch] Error 1

You only need to roll back the tutorial version if you are using the old
version of Mirage (the monolithic one).  It sounds like you installed the
latest version using OPAM, so you should use the HEAD of the tutorial.
Note that the *content* in Mirage tutorial is out-of-date at the moment,
so you'll either need to install the old monolithic one at this point, or
explore the new one.

Note my previous statement that you can get very far at this stage without
using Mirage at all, as you should be able to build much of the key/value
store logic in pure Lwt/UNIX (and normal OCaml), and port it to Mirage as
a second step. I'd really recommend you do this, as you need to learn OCaml
too, and learning a language and an experimental OS and a hypervisor at the
same time might not be the most effective way :-)

> I also noted that there are two mirage-tutorials as well as mirage-wwws,
> respectively in git://github.com/mirage/XXX and git://github.com/avsm/XXX.
> To my understanding, the latter is for the monolithic version, right?

The mirage/* repos are the master ones, and the avsm/ ones are my personal
working copies which may be out of date or broken.