[GSoC'13] Towards a Java-language unikernel substrate for Xen

Hi folks,

This is Shuang Qiu, a second year master student from Shanghai, China.

I'm warming-up for the coming Google Summer of Code 2013 and quite interested in the proposed project in Xen community by Dr. Madhavapeddy "Towards a multi-language unikernel substrate for Xen".
Especially, I'm interested in the Java language part based on my previous project experience and knowledge. (it's a pity I don't have a good knowledge of OCaml currently, but I'm grasping it :p.)

I tested guestvm (https://kenai.com/projects/guestvm, the Guest VM Microkernel sub-project), a Java unikernel substrate for Xen, on a Xen build (xen-4.3-unstable). It works as expected. The simple hello-world case is just print the system time every second.
Just report the positive result and will read the guestvm code doing some hacking later.

I also skipped the Mirage mail list archive and with the 1000-mile view of project Mirage in mind. The project is promising. If a unikernel development environment for multiple languages can be successfully setup, developing for unikernel OS will be much easier and the efficiency of the dedicated running process will be promoted in unikernel OS by bypassing the traditional software stack in general purposed monolithic/micro- kernel OS. I'm seeking a chance to make a little contributions to the community.

Thank you very much for your comments and cheers!
Shuang