Re: OpenFlow version hell

Hi all,

This is a mail I send a while ago to Nirav Dave and Andrew W. Moore in order toÂsummariseÂthe differences between the versions of the OpenFlow protocol. It might come in handy in this discussion.Â

"So far I have used only the 1.0 specification in my projects and the 1.1 specifications, although they are assumed as the current default, there is no adoption for them yet. Just toÂorganiseÂthings, I will group changes based on functionality:

1) Tables and switch state:

In the 1.1 specifications there are two main changes on the processing packet pipeline. Firstly, there is a new table type which is calledÂgroup tableÂand by using an identifier, it can group together multiple flow definitions. Additionally, the lookup process changes and instead of a parallel search in all flow tables it now looks up flows among tables in a pipeline fashion. AssumeÂnÂtables exist in the switch, then the packet will be matched against table 0Âinittially. If a match is found then the actions are appliedÂonÂthe packet, and a new lookup is performed on to the next table of the switch etc. As a result a matchingÂflowÂon table 1 may change the operation applied from the matchÂofÂthe 1st table etc. For the group table, my understanding is that they try to create a hack in the processing stack that allows 2 things: Firstly, process special packets like multicast packets in a homogenous way, without having to go through the pipeline and, secondly, reduce space to store actions by accumulatingÂthenÂin the group table.Â

2)ÂmatchingÂtuple:Â

IntroduceÂbitmaskÂmatches on theÂmacÂaddress of a packet.Â
Introduce a metadata field in the tuple that can store partial results during the processing of a packet. The basic idea is that the metadata field can store control defined state and allow to propagate state between the tables in the processing pipeline.ÂThis way you can create state machines between the various processing tables.Â
The matching process can now extract alsoÂmpls,Â802.3 andÂsctpÂpacket headers.Â

3) Packet processing:

As I already mentioned, the packet processing occurs now in a pipeline fashion. Additionally, during the processing of a packet, a list of actions is Âassigned to the packet. This list contains the transient list ofÂoperationÂthat will be applied at the endÂonÂthe packet. Each table can add actions in the list or invalidate previous one.Â
A number of new actions are introduced that allow to handleÂmplsÂtags,ÂecnÂhandling and copy or decrementÂttlÂfield (AlthoughÂttlÂis not exposed in the matchingÂtupple).Â

I think this summarizes the differences in the protocol. It appears that the protocol has been mildly bloated and as a result I am not aware of anyÂhwimplementation so far. "

By the way, I was wondering if I could take a lookÂinÂtheÂbluespecÂcode of the switch you presented last week in SRI. I am asking mainly because I would like to see a bit howÂbluespecÂcode looks like.Â

hopeÂmy answer helped you a bit. If you have any further question feel free to contact me.Â