Re: pre-1.0 progress

Meanwhile, Thomas and I've been fixing up the Unix execution environment to use the Release framework, so that the binaries running have a similar execution model, with a well-specified lifecycle.

The model (that Thomas is hacking on) is that mirari spawns a child process that drops as much privilege as possible, and establishes an IPC interface with the privileged master process, from which it gets all of its resources.  There is a per-user ~/.mirage directory which stores sockets of all the active instances, so that `mirari list` will work in Unix as well as Xen.

One important module type that needs to be added that of a JOB, which represents the lifecycle of a single unikernel process (such as a single webserver).  Since a job will need to satisfy some device dependencies, this is likely how we can wrap the register step in 2) below.  I'll make sure these both align up tomorrow...

PS: lots more slides available on http://decks.openmirage.org too -- I'm teaching using some of these tomorrow, so we can adapt them for tutorial purposes with a little more detail too.

-anil