Re: [MirageOS-devel] [Xen-devel] Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 02:09:08PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 13:54 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have not gotten any reply to this thread. I saw Wei Lui and Andrés
> > Lagar-Cavilla make changes to the project list. Please go through the
> > items below and make changes as suggested. Otherwise, our chances to get
> > into GSoC 2014 will be relatively slim.
>
> Going through the list, people listed as technical contacts for projects
> with GSoC == yes (or unknown) are in the To line. Please reiterate your
> interest in mentoring the project(s) and update or remove the entry as
> necessary.
>
> I skipped things added recently and I skipped "Xen Cloud Platform (XCP)
> and XAPI projects", someone else can pick that up.
>
> And to reiterate what Lars said:
>
> > Add new work items : we ought to have a few sexy topics on say
> > Real-time, mobile and some of the other segments (assuming we can get
> > HW)
> [...]
> > b) Anyone who has some kernel/linux/bsd/distro/qemu work-items, should
> > get these listed on the respective other programs. And we should link
> > to these from our project page.
>
> The list:
>
> Pasi:
>       * Implement Xen PVSCSI support in xl/libxl toolstack
>       * Implement Xen PVUSB support in xl/libxl toolstack
>
>         Both have unanswered questions posed by Lars in January 2013.
>
> Konrad:
>       * Block backend/frontend improvements
>
>         I suspect a bunch of these are done? (Also CC Roger, who may
>         have done them...)
>
>         Was in the list twice, they looked identical so I nuked one.

<nods>
>       * Utilize Intel QuickPath on network and block path.
>
>         No comments etc, but sounds advanced for a GSoC student, plus
>         its unclear when such hardware became available, are they likely
>         to have it? It sounds like it might also be quite high end.
>
>       * perf working with Xen
>
>         Done/in progress by Boris I think

<nods>

>       * PAT writecombine fixup
>
>         Did I see a fix for this go past? GSoC == unknown?

No. Still looking for a victi^H^H^Hvolunteer.

>       * Parallel xenwatch
>
>         Bit sparse on details, GSOC == unknown

That would still be nice. It came from talking to Matt from Amazon. He
was saying that having only one xenwatch thread slows things down for
a medium to big server with lots of guests. Making multiple
xenwatch threads to process XenBus requests in parallel would be
a good improvement.

>       * Microcode uploader implementation
>
>         Done I think?

<nods>

>       * Integrating NUMA and Tmem
>
>         Lists Dan as co-maintainer -- Konrad do you want to propose this
>         to the new tmem guy (I've forgotten his name)

Bob Liu. Yes, lets rope him in.

>       * Performance tools overhaul
>
>         Bit vague. And has some of this been done?

I can't remember what that is.

>       * "Upstream bugs"
>
>         There were 4 of these, dating back to 2012, I don't think this
>         list is a good place to track bugs and it seems like at least
>         some of them are now obsolete. So I've nuked the lot. If they
>         are still relevant I think it would be best to get them into the
>         bug tracker.

OK, lets nuke them.

We could also add the:

VCPUOP_register_vcpu_time_memory_area support in Linux upstream kernel.

MSI multi-vector for Linux upstream kernel.

Thought those are mostly just putting pieces together and repost them
so no "new" development.