Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage/ARM plans

On 14 May 2014, at 15:39, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14 May 2014 15:26, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Note that when I refer to 'libc', I'm really talking about libm (which
>>> is essential), a printf implementation, and malloc/calloc.
>>
>> Do we steel need the printf stuff for ocaml 4.02 with the new printf's GADTs
>> implementation ?
>
> Good point. For now, it's using Mini-OS's printf functions. They
> mostly work, but don't recognise %F, for example.
>
> For malloc, Mini-OS provides a malloc that returns contiguous regions
> of (guest) physical memory (it just calls _xmalloc(size,
> DEFAULT_ALIGN)). If OCaml just grabs more memory whenever the heap is
> full, that should be fine. If people are freeing stuff, it could
> become a problem due to fragmentation.

There's very little mallocing relative to the amount of OCaml heap activity
(which allocates in 2MB chunks by default and could use super pages if
available). So sticking with the simple allocator should be fine for now.

(The exception are perhaps Io_pages which we malloc, but should draw from a
fixed pool to recycle them and not share them with the main heap, since they
can be granted to other driver domains).

> For libm, does anyone have an opinion about openlibm?
>
>  https://github.com/JuliaLang/openlibm

Looks good if it works on ARM (your comment on that issue seems hopefully, but
it's worrying that it's been open for a year).  Adam Wick extracted libm from
OpenBSD for HalVM, which we do too. Not sure which is a better option...

-anil