Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage/ARM plans

On 19 May 2014, at 16:34, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13 May 2014 13:53, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great summary!  My comments inline:

>>> This refers to upstream Xen MiniOS, right?  Do you think it's worth
>>> modifying the MiniOS repository to build fully independently of Xen (so
>>> that we can extract the git subtree) and install its header files and
>>> .a/.lds files somewhere that can be picked up by the mirage-platform
>>> build?
>>
>> Could do. The changes needed to Mini-OS for that are here:
>>
>> https://github.com/talex5/mirage-platform/commit/53e2675e05df29bae96298844687c14020986e7c
>>
>> Another option would be to add a "make install-ocamlfind" target to
>> the upstream Xen copy.
>
> If we're going to make libminios installable separately, does anyone
> have a preference for ocamlfind vs pkg-config (or something else)?

Definitely pkg-config for the C libraries, with any OCaml bindings
using ocamlfind as usual.  Following the usual convention for library
bindings is safest here unless there's a strong reason to do it
via ocamlfind (although one strong reason is ease of installation).

> For openlibm, pkg-config is probably the way go, and it might make
> sense to do the same with libminios (to make it useful outside of
> OCaml projects).
>
> Will we expect people to install these dependencies themselves, or is
> the plan to bundle them with mirage-platform?

Hrm, I suspect that making these external dependencies is better,
since they really are no different from any other sort of C library.

However, we could still supply an OPAM library that does the conf-*
check for the existence of the library on the system, and installs
it from source if not available.   We just need some way to make the
OPAM and pkg-config worlds happy in this case...

cheers,
Anil