Re: [MirageOS-devel] [Xen-API] Xapi project repositories

On 10 June 2014 at 10:49 AM Jon Ludlam wrote:
> I started making a list, and realised that there are a few other
> inconsistencies that we ought to clean up at the same time, for example,
> many repositories are marked as forks of personal repos where that
> relationship ought to be reversed.

[snip]

> These forking relationship problems need to be fixed by the people who
> own the upstream repo. I don't think it's quite as simple as clicking
> the 'transfer repository' button. If anyone knows the exact procedure
> for doing this, could they please reply?

I'm not confident that it is possible to just designate a different
fork as the "upstream" one.

A while back I'm fairly sure it wasn't, though perhaps github has
made changes since then.

It looks as if it would be possible to transfer the repository, but this
Isn't really want as we'd need to get the "upstream" one into the right
state, and would have to jump through some hoops with memberships
and renaming:
https://help.github.com/articles/how-to-transfer-a-repository

If the "upstream" owner were to delete his fork then a new fork will be chosen
as the new "parent" repository, though the github documentation doesn't
make it clear whether this is chosen by a github algorithm or by the user
doing the deletion:
https://help.github.com/articles/what-happens-to-forks-when-a-repository-is-deleted-or-changes-visibility