Re: [MirageOS-devel] towards a common Mirage 'FLOW' signature

On 16 Jun 2014, at 09:55, Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2014, at 21:38, David Scott <scott.dj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I notice the low-level network APIs (NETWORK, ETHIF, ...) are *almost* like
>> this except they have a function like
>>
>> val listen: t -> udp:callback -> tcp:callback -> ...
>>
>> Perhaps later (V2, V3?) we could split this into something like a
>>
>> val read: t -> buffer (* satisfy FLOW *)
>> val classify: buffer -> [ `UDP; `TCP ]
>>
>> -- is that a good idea?
>
> i generally like the idea of doing something other than an ad hoc collection
> of callbacks.
>
> how would the scheme above handle recursive protocols (IP-in-IP etc)?

You would narrow the buffer by classifying it, generating a sub-view, and
making that a FLOW again.  I don't think that this interface should concern
itself with doing a deep packet inspection, unless I'm missing something?

> (probably irrelevant but fwiw: i tried doing something a little like this
> with the pcap code -- so there was a set of default "demux" functions but you
> could override them all to construct your own protocol demux dag.)

Got a pointer?  Should make sure the two are compatible.