Re: [MirageOS-devel] wireshark capture of failed download from mirage-www on ARM

On Saturday, July 26, 2014, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 25 Jul 2014, at 04:54, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's a slightly better work-around:
>
> https://github.com/talex5/mirage-tcpip/commit/9f7e0a628ebd1cece7d0fb979273a96be78233ad
>
> It changes the TCP packet splitting code so that the second part of
> the page is copied to a new IO page. This avoids sending the same
> physical page to Linux twice (which is what doesn't work).
>
> With this, the previous hack can be reverted.
>
> In my testing, this increased the streaming TCP download speed from 56
> KB/s to 3.9 MB/s on the CubieTruck.

This is certainly a fix that works, but I'm loath to insert an unnecessary
copy in the TCP stack just because of a limitation in Xen/ARM (that will go
away in Xen 4.5, I expect).

Could we keep track of the active grants in the Gnttab libary, and force a
page duplication at that point instead? ÂThat would fix it for any other
Cstruct consumers as well, and be a more logical place to insert Xen
version detection in the future to remove the extra copy if not needed.

If the problem is granting the same page twice, wouldÂit be enough to maintain a map of page address to (grant index * refount), and then "grant_access" could return the existing grant id and bump the refcount? I think we just need to share the grant, rather than duplicate the page. (Is that right?)

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Scott