Re: [MirageOS-devel] MirageOS KVM Development

On 19 Aug 2014, at 08:54, Bill Gercken <bgercken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is anybody actively working on support for KVM?
>
> We are in a situation where we need to deploy to both Xen and KVM and I would
> love to be able to create unikernel applications that can be compiled for
> both environments.

KVM is not specifically being worked on at this time, but we'd love to hear
from anyone that would like to contribute towards the effort.  There have been
several recent developments to make this easier in Mirage 2:

- the MiniOS library is now picked up from an external package
- this library is in sync with the Xen development tree (should be part of Xen
4.5) and is multiarch (x86_64/x86_32 and ARM).
- TODO: add a HVM boot mode to upstream MiniOS to let it boot in Xen hardware
virt mode (Jon Ludlam had some patches against an earlier MiniOS that did this).

After this, KVM support is pretty easy; it just needs the addition of virtio
drivers in OCaml, which isn't a complex task.