[MirageOS-devel] Mirage on EC2

Hello,

I have not been able to successfully boot a unikernel-based AMI on EC2
(something I will revisit later).  In the meantime, I found that you
can replace the kernel on a standard Linux instance without much
trouble:

- Build a unikernel, ex. mirage-skeleton/static_website.

- Launch an instance with the "Amazon Linux AMI ... PV" (on us-east-1:
ami-7c807d14 for instance-backed, ami-7c807d14 for EBS-backed).  This
will select the proper AKI for pvgrub.  Make sure to set up an SSH
key, and a security group that allows ssh and http.

- Once the instance is up, push the kernel to ec2-user's home directory:
scp mir-www.xen ec2-user@<ip-address>:.

- Log in as ec2-user:
ssh ec2-user@<ip-address>

- Move the kernel to /boot:
sudo mv mir-www.xen /boot

- Edit the grub menu:
sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

- Add the following menu entry, before (or instead of) the "title
Amazon Linux" entry:
title mirage
root (hd0)
kernel /boot/mir-www.xen

- Restart:
sudo shutdown -r now

This should work OK as long as the unikernel uses only memory and
network; the disk is full of Linux cruft.  It's not ideal, but I think
that using a Linux AMI to bootstrap an instance might be a practical
alternative to minting an AMI for each update.

--
Len