Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage project suggestions for another newcomer

hi aaron;

On 5 Sep 2014, at 10:54, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5 Sep 2014, at 01:10, Aaron Quamme <aaron.quamme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions in the vein of Stephen's project - something
>> relatively small and non-critical but still useful. I discovered Mirage and
>> unikernels last week and find topic rather fascinating, so I decided to make
>> it the focus of my undergraduate research project this semester. I don't
>> have much experience with OCaml or with functional languages in general, but
>> I've started on Real World OCaml.
>>
>> I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you provide!
>
> How about a DHCP server implementation? We already have a DHCP client:
>
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-tcpip/tree/master/dhcp
>
> A DHCP server would be handy if we want to do fancy network stuff in future
> e.g. for some kind of DHCP + NAT + VPN appliance.
>
> I’m sure other people have other suggestions too!

+1 for dhcp server :)

caveat: i don't know what the usual scope or content of ug projects are at your
institution, and i haven't thought in detail about scoping the following
suggestions so they may require far more than is reasonable for a good ug
project anywhere.

...but other things that i think would be useful at some point would be an ipv6
stack, a vpn client, nat support, upnp. basically, name a network protocol
that's not already supported, and an implementation will probably be useful at
some point to someone :)

a thorough performance eval (range of conditions, range of platforms) of the
mirage stack (network and/or block) would also be useful and might make a good
ug project.

continuing some of the work that mindy preston did during her opw internship
fuzz-testing the network stack would probably also be useful.

--
Cheers,

R.