Re: [MirageOS-devel] Location of next Xen Project Developer Summit / User Summit (please respond by end of September)

i'm coming into this late, i don't know how relevant the experience is, and i
don't really have a feel for the scale or intent of these events so apologies
if this is noise but fwiw:

many (most?) "large" (300-700 attendees) academic cs conferences now run to ~5
days rather than the more traditional ~2.5. this allows for collocated
co-sponsored workshops to be tacked on at the start and/or end. some of the
larger conferences (around, say, 3000 attendees) go multi-track with workshops
spread over the entire timetable. both approaches seem fairly successful--
though some attendees are very selective about what they register for, numbers
generally seem to hold up well across the entire week (much better than at,
eg., oscon, where we've observed dramatically fewer people there on the last
day). ticket prices are usually discounted based on some combination of
registering early, having ACM/IEEE membership, and (sometimes) number of events
attended.

so i guess i'd say +1 to something like having several related events
consecutively with some affiliation between them. amortising travel time is
good. i think this is roughly what you're suggesting.

re fosdem (or colocation generally)-- what would you want to do there?  would
it make sense to have a session or a track or a pre-/post-main-event?  would
being cosponsored (vs just collocating) with fosdem be something that would be
useful?

Cheers,

R.