[MirageOS-devel] some things that look related to bits of mirage

  • To: mirageos-devel <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 16:15:15 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:21:51 +0000

from the TRIOS OSDI workshop programme...

#
https://www.usenix.org/conference/trios14/technical-sessions/presentation/pillai

We introduce Fracture, a novel framework that transforms and modernizes the
basic process abstraction. By “fracturing” an application into logical modules,
Fracture enables powerful and novel run-time configurations that improve
run-time testing, application availability, and general robustness, all in a
generic and incremental manner. We demonstrate the utility of fracturing via
in-depth case studies of a chat client, a web server, and two user-level file
systems. Through these examples, we show that Fracture enables applications to
transparently tolerate memory leaks, buffer overflows, and isolate subsystem
crashes, with little change to source code; through intelligent fracturing, we
can achieve low overhead as well, thus enabling deployment.

#
https://www.usenix.org/conference/trios14/technical-sessions/presentation/hruby

Traditionally, applications use sockets to access the network. The socket API
is well understood and simple to use. However, its simplicity has also limited
its efficiency in existing implementations. Specifically, the socket API
requires the application to execute many system calls like select, accept,
read, and write. Each of these calls crosses the protection boundary between
user space and the operating system, which is expensive. Moreover, the system
calls themselves were not designed for high concurrency and have become
bottlenecks in modern systems where processing simultaneous tasks is key to
performance. We show that we can retain the original socket API without the
current limitations. Specifically, our sockets almost completely avoid system
calls on the "fast path". We show that our design eliminates up to 99% of the
system calls under high load. Perhaps more tellingly, we used our sockets to
boost NewtOS, a microkernel-based multiserver system, so that the performance
of its network I/O approaches, and sometimes surpasses, the performance of the
highly-optimized Linux network stack.

--
Cheers,

R.