Re: [MirageOS-devel] OCaml-TLS directly on Xen

On 1 October 2014 19:43, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for your replies. Moving forward I've some questions; related
> is for sure https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform/pull/102
> (installing runtime headers for xen).
>
> C code currently lives in:
>  - xen repo, extras/mini-os <- malloc, printf, console, blkfront, ...
> (GPL2)
>  - mirage-platform repo, xen/runtime/xencaml <- symbols required by
> OCaml runtime (which is in runtime/ocaml)
>  - OpenLibm <- should that install a math.h header?
>  - a nanolibc is proposed for some more symbols (+gmp?)
>
> Which CFLAGS to use for C libraries (such as OCaml runtime etc.)?
>  - enable stack protection (FORTIFY_SOURCE)?
>  - enable asserts?
>  - for sure -fno-builtin
>
> I generally don't trust C code, thus I'd be in favor of enabling both
> stack protection and assertions when compiling our unikernels, but am
> happy to hear your opinion.

As I see it, we have several options:

1. Compile the libraries once for both Unix and Mini-OS. Hope that
things are sufficiently compatible.

2. Compile some libraries separately (e.g. gmp-unix, gmp-xen).

3. Compare all libraries separately (opam switch).

Sounds like we need to do 2 or 3 here. I guess 2 is the easiest, since
we're already doing that with some libraries for other reasons.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://0install.net/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA