Re: [MirageOS-devel] Tracing and profiling blog post

> On 31 Oct 2014, at 14:17, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the blog post, as usual it was great to read :-)
>
> To add other related work to the pile of related work, I quite like the
> approach of
> https://blog.twitter.com/2012/distributed-systems-tracing-with-zipkin
> They use sampling to only enable full profiling on a per-request basis. They
> have turn-on/off profiling for the various components and the have a way to
> track and relate profiling information across multiple components.
>
> For sure having something simple is *much* better than having nothing at all,
> but if we go to something more sophisticated later, zipkin sounds quite neat.
> (not sure if they have a standardize format for tracing/profiling info though)

Zipkin uses Thrift and a loose API to do collection

https://github.com/twitter/zipkin/blob/master/doc/collector-api.md

When we get to building distributed session protocols, there are some very nice
patterns to follow in Finagle:
http://twitter.github.io/finagle/guide/Protocols.html

Specifically the Mux protocol does a good job of RPC multiplexing, and could be
a good layer over our Ring protocols.