Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage tracing status

On 11/11/2014 10:53 AM, Thomas Leonard wrote:
On 11 November 2014 16:40, Mindy <mindy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/11/2014 09:56 AM, Thomas Leonard wrote:
[snip]

If anyone has had any success using the tracing themselves (or got
stuck), let me know!

I don't know that I'd call it "success" yet, but I've gotten some traces out
of unikernels; I'm now rewriting to use the interface you've just released.
Cool :-)

Note: to read the data from a Xen guest, you'll need to use the
"collect" tool, currently in mirage-trace-viewer
(https://github.com/talex5/mirage-trace-viewer), which can be built
with:

$ ./configure --enable-collect

It's conditional because it depends on xenstore_transport.unix, which
requires the Xen headers to be installed. I don't know if there's some
existing tool for dumping a Xen shared memory region that I should be
using instead.
Thanks very much for mentioning this. :)

The ability to read the trace buffer after crashes is very welcome :)
Are you using AWS? Some extra work may be needed there, since you
don't have access to dom0. Can you dump the RAM somehow using their
API?

Luckily for me, what I'm trying to get at is reproducible locally, where I *do* have access to dom0. I'd be surprised if this was possible in AWS EC2 (a very cursory glance suggests that it isn't).

-Mindy