Re: [MirageOS-devel] TLS packaging status update

On 1 Dec 2014, at 11:04, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is taking a bit longer than expected... here's the current status.
>
> I have ocaml-tls working on Xen/ARM (and demoed by Anil at #osio), by
> compiling in an OPAM switch with the right CFLAGS for Mini-OS.
> However, we don't want to do it this way because dealing with OPAM
> switches is annoying.
>
> Instead, I'm adding an ocamlfind variable which packages can use to
> indicate the C stubs to link against under Xen. e.g. tcpip would put
> this in its META file:
>
> xen_linkopts = "-ltcpip_xen_stubs"
>
> No libraries will be linked without this option, so we won't
> accidentally link Unix libraries. This is important on x86_64, where
> linking Unix libraries creates subtle race conditions due to the "red
> zone" not being available in kernel mode.

All sounds good to me!

> When testing this, I realised we compile openlibm for Unix, so I
> updated that to get the CFLAGS from Mini-OS, but it turned out that
> didn't work because Mini-OS doesn't provide sys/types.h (just
> types.h), and also openlibm used some legacy type names that Mini-OS
> doesn't provide. sys/types.h is currently provided by mirage-platform.

> 1. Make openlibm depend on mirage-platform to get sys/types.h.
> 2. Rename Mini-OS's types.h to sys/types.h and put everything there.
> 3. Modify openlibm to use only stdint.h.
>
> I'm leaning towards option (3) at the moment (assuming it's possible),
> but shout if you have a better idea!

Isn't 2) a reasonable thing to do as well?  <sys/types.h> is very
commonly included due to POSIX, so there seems little harm in making
MiniOS's layout comply.

> After that, I'll update mirage-profile and tcpip to the new linking
> system and make a pull request for the updated mirage tool. You'll
> probably need to update several things at once when this happens.
>
> Then we'll be in a position to add the tls libraries. That might
> require a little
> extra work if we want to add Xen C stubs to 3rd-party packages (e.g.
> zarith). Anil has suggested using OPAM depexts for this.
>
> Finally, we could really use some pkg-config support in OASIS.
> Otherwise, getting the necessary CFLAGS is unreasonably difficult...

Yeah.  I believe there might be some PRs floating around, but I'd
rather put the effort into Assemblage at the moment than shoehorn
pkg-config into OASIS at the moment...