[MirageOS-devel] irmin storage overhead and dedup

Hi Thomas,

Iâm trying to figure out what kind of storage overhead and dedup I get in
Irmin. First I tried to convert the google email archive (2.4G) to the IMAP
server Irmin format . After conversion the size of the git repository was twice
the size of the original archive. I do have some additional structures that I
create, like per mailbox index and summary statistics and per email message
flags so perhaps the extra size is coming from those structures though it seems
a bit high. I will have to estimate the expected size from additional
structures to understand this result. Next I dumped into irmin 2,000 of 1M
files with random ascii content which resulted in the git repository size of
950M. I figure Irmin compresses the content, right? To verify this I dumped
2,000 of 2.4M image files with concatenated counter to make the content unique.
The size of repository for this was 4.6G, which is expected. Then I repeated
the last test but with identical images and this time the size was 27M, which
was clearly a nice proof of the deduping by Irmin. My question is whether the
compression in Irmin is configurable? Can it be configurable per individual
content? For instance, I donât want to compress images as there is nothing to
gain from the space saving and consequently there is unnecessary resource usage
but I do want to compress the text if the compression overhead is reasonable. I
can figure out the type of content from MIME type in IMAP server.

Thanks
Gregory