Re: [MirageOS-devel] TLS on Xen

On 16 Jan 2015, at 00:00, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> What's the recommended way to store the private key? I don't want it
>>> in config.ml because that's part of the source repository. I could
>>> load it there. I can't deploy via a public GitHub repository if the
>>> binary contains the key, so maybe it should be stored on a block
>>> device?
>>
>> At the risk of abusing XenStore too much, it could also be written there
>> with suitably constrained permissions.  It would still need to be a block
>> device for normal cloud providers though.
>
> maybe you can load the key when configuring your unikernel ie. it should be
> available on the filesystem (or somewhere else) where you are configuring
> your unikernel.
>
> in that case you can:
> - in config.ml: call a function to read the private key
> - in main.ml: you can generate some code with the hard-coded private key read
> while configuring

This doesn't meet the requirement that the binary can be redistributed on a
public site (ala mirage-www-deployment).

> Regarding xenstore: I'm still a bit uncomfortable with passing dynamic secret
> data in there

It does require some thought for sure -- but Xenstore is already a highly
trusted component that can only be accessed by the root user in the guest
kernel on conventional operating systems.  If not Xenstore itself, then some
other channel of a similar nature (like Xentropyd has) would fit the bill.
Unfortunately, this won't work on a public cloud provider, but a block device
should be fine there.

Thinking about the block device more, perhaps we could have the notion of a
transient block device -- attach it at boot to read the private key into
memory, and then immediately eject it.