Re: [MirageOS-devel] [OCaml 0006167]: OCAMLPARAM Support for Disabling Position-Independent Code (PIC) Generation

On 26 Jan 2015, at 13:51, PÃli GÃbor JÃnos <pgj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:47:28AM +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> On 26 Jan 2015, at 11:21, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Is there anything else still to upstream or is it all ready for use? :)
>>
>> A mere matter of Makefiles, I'm sure :-)
>
> For what it is worth, the implementation still relies on the presence of
> fixed-point arithmetic for real numbers.  I have already posted and
> written about the related patch to this list [1].  It was called "Add
> fixed-point arithmetic support for doubles, unroll floating-point primops"
> [2], but it was not truly an upstream-compatible change.  I am open to
> any suggestions, and I could play with it if you think it would make
> sense.

Good point -- the major reason this won't be accepted upstream is that it
slows down normal floating point calls with a C invocation.  I suspect it
would be acceptable if there were no impact at all on normal code gen, and
so the only cost would be the maintenance burden upstream due to additional
compiler complexity.