Re: [MirageOS-devel] Error handling in Mirage - request for comments!

On 29 Jan 2015, at 15:24, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As part of my continuing mission to break all Mirage APIs, I've
> written up some thoughts on how to improve error handling:

s/break/fix :-)

>  https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/pull/274
>
> Although written as if it's a final design, it's intended only as a
> starting point for discussion, to find out what we do and don't agree
> on. Please add comments, information about successful approaches
> you've seen, etc.

This is an excellent writeup.  My top-level view is that moving to
an exception-heavier model is fine, but that we really do need to adopt
some sort of Async-style monitor model to make this feasible, so that
exceptions can be contained within a logical section of the code.

I think that making an Lwt_monitor only needs a minor patch to the
engine -- on a context switch, the thread's current monitor needs
to be set into a global variable so that the toplevel try/catch can
route it.  It may be possible to do this without a patch and purely
with the thread-local map.