Re: [MirageOS-devel] Cohttp Design -- LWT, Async, JS, Mirage Compatibility

Thanks for the great response Anil, and all! This is very useful.

Three thoughts:

I personally, I don't find the functor-ization that difficult. The onion is clear from navigating the source, and more clear when you make it explicit. I am interested in getting unification of the client/server interfaces though. I am writing a S3 Client for work right now. I would love to open source this soon. Unfortunately, only Async users will be able to use it initially, because I am using the Async implementation of Cohttp. If there were unified interfaces, users of Mirage could also take advantage of this as soon as it is complete (which, I think would be so cool). My point is -- the lack of those interfaces creates more work for library creators who build on top of Cohttp, and thereby hurts adoption.

To add to the onion analogy -- there's the idea of maturity (which you called out). Opposite of how an onion grows, the inner layers of Cohttp are more mature, stable and unified. It seems correct to me, to call out that the first stabs at the outer layers are intentionally *not* unified so that use cases can be gathered and the actual unified interfaces created.

I would love to get a form of your email into the codebase as a design document. I know it would have helped me (and is helping me) get up to speed on the codebase. I would be happy to give it a stab and submit a pull request.

Trevor