Re: [MirageOS-devel] Merging in Irmin

On 9 April 2015 at 19:18, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There are two cases. If the branch already contains a commit:
>> 1. I use View.of_path to get the view.
>> 2. I use BC.of_head to make a temporary branch.
>> 3. I commit to the temporary branch with View.update_path.
>> 4. After testing the commit, I use BC.compare_and_set_head to commit
>> to the main branch.
>>
>> If the branch is empty:
>> 1. I use View.empty to get the view.
>> 2. I commit directly to the master branch with View.update_path (no
>> testing is possible in this case).
>>
>> This works - it would just be a bit neater if there was a uniform way
>> to make a commit from a view.
>
> Agreed. I have a ticket open to be able to start an empty store with a named
> branch. I should fix it and that should help.
>>
>>> I've been playing with that API a little bit but that's not very easy to do
>>> actually (currently View depends on BC, and adding your function will make
>>> the whole thing recursive). I can either:
>>> 1. add the function in View (ie. `View.make_head: db -> task ->
>>> parents:head list -> contents:t -> head`) which is a bit weird but should
>>> work;
>>> 2/ or I can expose a staging area as a HRW store (i.e. without the subpath
>>> functions which appear in the View signature), so all updates should go
>>> through that module and that will be incompatible with normal views.
>>> 3. or I can implement immutable views to have a proper staging area using
>>> immutable prefix trees.
>>>
>>> I'm in favour of 1. for now on and hopefully one day we'll have 3. Is it
>>> fine with you?
>>
>> Sounds good to me. Thanks!
>
> I've done that in https://github.com/mirage/irmin/pull/188

That's great :-) I've updated my code to use this and I've started
writing my own merge logic. I had some trouble checking it with git
due to https://github.com/mirage/irmin/issues/190 but it's not a major
problem.

Thanks!

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://0install.net/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA