Re: [MirageOS-devel] Signature mismatch in tcpip 2.2.3

On 21 Apr 2015, at 21:17, Daniel BÃnzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le mardi, 21 avril 2015 Ã 21:57, Anil Madhavapeddy a Ãcrit :
>> Very good point -- this is something we need to incorporate into the new
>> OPAM 1.2 pinning workflow.
>>
>> If the `version` field in the `opam` file in the Git repository is out of
>> date, then all the wrong constraints will be picked up, so it's important
>> that we commit an accurate version number.
> I think that the right fix is to *never* have version numbers in your repos.
> Those should be inferred from the VCS by your pin install procedure, I'm not
> sure opam is at fault or can do anything here.

How is the version inferred with?  Without it:

    opam pin foo git://github.com/mirage/foo

...will have the version of the latest release, I believe.  That in turn may
not be enough, since we want the pin to be latest_release+1 to ensure it's
higher than any existing constraints that may hold it back.