Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage OS 2.4 errors on install and mirage-skeleton build

On 4 May 2015, at 14:50, Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have sent a pull request to fix the requires root issue - it was
> trying to bring the interface up which requires root, so long as it is
> already up this is fine, I use:
>
> sudo ip tuntap add dev tap0 mode tap user justin && sudo ip link set dev tap0
> up
>
> to create interfaces. The disappearing thing is the interface going
> down again, it is not a persistence thing, as it is not actually
> removed.

This almost works for me, except that I still get a permissions error
since the `set_up_and_running` ioctl call checks for IFF_MULTICAST and
IFF_BROADCAST in addition to IFF_UP and IFF_RUNNING.  These aren't
set when I create a persistent tun with `otun add tun10 tun`, but it
shouldn't matter much if those aren't set.  Any particular reason that
we need them?

I've merged the two changes into ocaml-tuntap trunk anyway as they're
an improvement; you can pin them with:

    opam pin add tuntap --dev